The Norwegian Apple Festival
The Norwegian Apple Festival is held in Gvarv in Telemark on the last Saturday in September each year. The 2019 festival will take place on Saturday September 28, where we celebrate the harvesting season with local food, art, crafts, song and dance.
The Norwegian Apple Festival was established in 2006. The aim was twofold; to profile fruit production, local art and culture, and to strengthen the identity of one of Norway’s most important fruit districts. Gvarv is located in the municipality of Sauherad in Telemark county, Norway. Sauherad has naturally good prerequisite for growing fruit and is the most important fruit district in Telemark. The festival has not only managed to turn the focus onto an important industry in the region, it has also put the district’s art and culture on the map and contributed to local identity and pride.
The main event of the festival is the Saturday’s farmers market. The day starts with a walk through the fruit orchards, from the old church in Nes to the farmers market in Gvarv. At the market you can taste and purchase fruit, vegetables and other locally produced food and high-quality products. The program also consists of:
- Activities for children
- Entertainment with singing and dancing
- Award ceremony for the «Golden apple of the year» award
- Unveiling of the apple art piece of the year
- Art exhibition with the Apple Festival’s artist of the year
The “Golden apple of the year” award
The award is appointed to people, organisations or businesses that have made a special effort within one or more of the following areas:
- Conveying the values and possibilities of sustainable rural communities and nature
- Conveying Norwegian food and food culture, as well as a healthy diet based on fruit and greens
- Conveying traditional art and culture, knowledge and business development based on personal and local resources
The statue itself is made by the local artist Arnt Darrud. The award has previously been given to princess Märtha Louise, the Association of Norwegian Chefs and the local apple juice producer Epleblomsten to name a few.
The artist of the year
Art and culture is important during the celebration of the Norwegian Apple Festival. Many artists within different genres have put their mark on the district throughout the years, and each year the festival selects one artist to have an exhibition at the festival.
- Located in Akkerhaugen, only 5 km away from Gvarv
- Hotel rooms and apartments for rent
- Beautiful view over lake Norsjø and the fruit orchards
- Campsite and cabin rental
- Restaurant and guest marina
- Cable park for water-skiing and wakeboarding